Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Spring Surprises


We've been housing several cocoons in our garage this fall....hoping that we would have a flurry of milkweed tiger moths this spring. I went out to do laundry last night and was surprised to see our first moth AND a black swallowtail. We had several black swallowtails and monarchs this fall and there was one that never emerged from its chrysallis. I thought it didn't make it for some reason, but I guess it decided to wait until Spring. He does have gimpy wing and wasn't able to fly when we tried to set it free. We put it back in the cage and hope to keep it alive as long as possible.

Here is a photo (by the quality, you can tell that I stole it =)). of a black swallowtail caterpillar. When you poke their backs, they have these little horns that poke out...the kids had fun with this litte feature. =)

Here is a photo of the butterfly shortly after it had emerged from it's chrysallis, which is that bark looking thing next to it. (You can see its injured wing...)

Trying to set it free...

Still trying...

No comments: