So, Sophie comes up to me yesterday and says, "Mommy, I'm Hannah Mon....what's her name, mommy?"
I play dumb and say, "Hannah Banana?"
"No! Hannah Mmm Mmm Mon..."
"I don't know, Sophie...not sure who you're talking about." I'm trying to figure out where she's heard about Hannah Montana. We rarely watch TV these days and when we do, it's PBS. She wasn't at the birthday party that Annabelle went to the other day where the birthday girls (twins) got Hannah Montana shirts.
"I know, Hannah Monta-nana," she says proudly.
"Ohhh, did someone at school tell you about her?"
"No."
"Where did you hear about her?"
"From me. I just know about her."
"Okay." I leave it at that...
I told Stephen about the conversation last night and he remembered that they did watch TV a couple of weeks ago. He let me sleep in on a Saturday morning and they were watching cartoons. He said a comercial for some kind of Hannah Montana something came on with a bunch of girls in short skirts and lots of makeup. He said, "When girls dress like that it's because their dads don't love them very much." I remember hearing him saying that as I was lying in bed that morning and wondering what they were watching. Sophie defended the outfit selection, "I like their clothes, daddy." Stephen answered, "I don't. They don't need to be wearing all the makeup and skirts that short."....(something like that. They went back and forth until the cartoon resumed.) If Stephen hadn't made his little comment, that commerical probably wouldn't have made such an impression on Sophie and she wouldn't be talking about Hannah Monta-nana two weeks later....;)
She may think more of Hannah Montana than she should, but my little 3 1/2 year old is also thinking about deeper things. She recently asked us why God created us and over the Easter weekend was very concerned with why Jesus died for us and why people would want to kill him. It's harder to answer those questions than I thought it would be...especially the first one...sometimes I'm not exactly sure why we were created....still figuring that out.
1 comment:
Ahh - already loving everything that Daddy doesn't like. Sounds a lot like an older brother of mine. But I am so glad she's already asking all of the hard questions. God must be working in little Miss Priss! Oh, and you can tell her that God created us to destroy Hannah Montana.
Post a Comment